Golf is a game that requires both mental and physical strength. In fact, many golfers think of their mental toughness as a key to their success on the course. In this article, I'll show you a few key mental hacks from my own experience and from other successful players in order to help improve your golf game.
Believe fully in yourself so you can play freely
If you've ever played golf, then you know that being able to hit a ball straight is only part of the battle. You also have to be able to keep your cool and stay focused on the game even when things aren't going your way.
There are many ways you can do this, but one of the best ways is by believing in yourself and your ability to perform no matter what challenge comes your way. In order for this approach to work well for golfers, however, it's important not just "not" think negatively about yourself—but rather believe fully in yourself so that you can play freely without worrying about anything else happening around you
Playing with a feeling of “the outcome doesn't matter” is always preferable to caring too much
- The more you care about the outcome, the more you will stress about it.
- The less you care about the outcome, the more relaxed you will be.
Try "playing through the pain" by focusing on a time in the past when you were at your very best
In order to keep yourself from slipping into negative thinking patterns, we recommend trying "playing through pain." This means focusing on a time in the past when you were at your very best—and then going back there mentally. Think of all the good things about how well you played then and how great it felt to be hitting shots so well. Visualise those feelings as clearly as possible until they become tangible once more.
Visualise a pleasant memory right before teeing off. Doing so can relax you and help you forget about a bad shot or hole.
- Before teeing off, visualize a pleasant memory. This will help you relax and forget about any bad shots or holes you’ve had.
- Imagine yourself playing golf in your mind’s eye, focusing on only positive thoughts and images (for example: being relaxed, enjoying the weather or scenery around you, etc.). Make it as real as possible by imagining every detail of your surroundings: What is the weather like? What are other people wearing? Are there any birds singing nearby? Does it smell like freshly cut grass in the air? How does it feel underfoot when another player hits a ball near you?
- Imagine that everything is going well for you during play; maybe even winning! You must feel good about yourself in order for this to happen though so don’t worry too much about what others may think—just focus on being proud of yourself instead!
See where you want the ball to go before every shot
Now that you have learned to be present, it is time to move on to the next step in your mental game: visualisation. Visualisation is simply seeing the shot in your mind before you swing. In other words, before every shot on the golf course, see where you want your ball to go and then hit it there!
The first thing we need to do is establish what kind of visualisations work best for golfers (because there are many). Golfers generally fall into three categories: those who visualise their swing with perfect execution; those who visualise facing an array of different shots; and those who visualise only their putting stroke (minus actually watching their putts roll into the hole). Each type brings up different questions about what kind of images will help them improve as golfers.
The brain can't process all of the information needed to swing well, so it's best to focus on what's essential, like rhythm and tempo, not mechanics and technique
The best golfers don’t worry about mechanics and technique while they swing, they focus on rhythm and tempo. They know that worrying about mechanics will only distract them from the important factors like rhythm, tempo, follow through, and keeping their head still.
By focusing on the right things and letting go of unnecessary ones, you can start having more fun and playing better golf.
To help practice these mindset hacks and improve your golf game from practically anywhere, check out our awesome gadget!
The Golf Boar™ Device
Golf Boar helps you to go from bogie to birdie from the comfort of your backyard, the park, on holiday, or anywhere else.
Check it out below!